- Ashburn was originally called Farmwell (variant names include Old Farmwell and Farmwell Station) after a nearby mansion of that name owned by George Lee III. The name "Farmwell" first appeared in George Lee's October 1802 will and was used to describe the 1,236 acre (5.0 km²) plantation he inherited from his father, Thomas Ludwell Lee II. A section of Farmwell plantation west of Ashburn Road, a 580 acre (2.3 km²) tract, was purchased in 1841 as a summer home by John Janney, a Quaker lawyer who nearly became Vice President of the United States. Janney called the property Ashburn Farm; the name's first known appearance in writing is 1870, when he sold the property. It is likely he named the farm after family friends whose name was "Ashburn".
- The Belmont Manor House and Janelia are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Colleges and universities
- George Washington University and Strayer University have campuses in Ashburn. In December 2009, it was announced that George Mason University is planning to set up a campus in Ashburn, to be located at Exit 6 off the Dulles Greenway.
Primary and secondary schools
- Educational institutions in Ashburn are operated by the Loudoun County Public Schools.
- Ashburn's elementary schools include Ashburn Elementary School, Belmont Station Elementary School, Cedar Lane Elementary School, Dominion Trail Elementary School, Hillside Elementary School, Legacy Elementary School,Creighton's Corner Elementary, Mill Run Elementary School, Newton-Lee Elementary School, Rosa Lee Carter Elementary School, Sanders Corner Elementary School, and Steuart W. Weller Elementary School. Ashburn's public middle schools include Belmont Ridge Middle School, Eagle Ridge Middle School, Farmwell Station Middle School, and Stone Hill Middle School. Public high schools in Ashburn include Briar Woods High School, Broad Run High School, and Stone Bridge High School.
- There are five private schools in Ashburn: Ideal Schools High School, St. Theresa Catholic School, Virginia Academy, Boyd School, and County Christian School.
- Located within the Dulles Technology Corridor, Ashburn is home to many high-tech businesses. World Trade Center Dulles Airport is currently[when?] under construction and will be the second World Trade Center in the state. Verizon Business has a major office in Ashburn at the location replacing MCI WorldCom's headquarters after its acquisition. Ashburn is also home to government contractor Telos. Prior to 2009, AOL had its headquarters in Ashburn, but today, maintains its Ashburn location as a satellite office, while its headquarters were moved to New York City.
- The George Washington University's Virginia Science and Technology Campus and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute's Janelia Farm Research Campus are located in Ashburn. Redskins Park, the training camp for the Washington Redskins football team of the National Football League, is also located in Ashburn. Wikimedia Foundation (parent of Wikipedia) has its primary data center in Ashburn.
- The United States Postal Service operates the Ashburn Post Office. The National Transportation Safety Board operates the Ashburn Aviation Field Office in Ashburn; it is the regional headquarters of the NTSB Aviation Eastern Region.
- Ashburn is located at 39°02′37″N 077°29′15″W / 39.04361°N 77.48750°W / 39.04361; -77.48750 (39.0437192, -77.4874899) and its average elevation is 295 feet (90 m) above sea level. According to the 2010 United States Census, the CDP has a total area of 17.287 square miles (44.77 km2), of which 17.025 square miles (44.09 km2) is land and 0.262 square miles (0.68 km2) is water. Ashburn is located between Washington Dulles International Airport and Leesburg, the county seat of Loudoun County.
- The Ashburn area consists of many major and minor subdivisions such as Ashbrook, Ashburn Farm, Ashburn Village, Brambleton, Broadlands, the Courts and Ridges at Ashburn, Belmont Greene, Belmont Country Club and the Village of Waxpool.